Wednesday, May 21, 2008

And on that subject... The Stark Jet


This came at the last minute during production. The company had shot the tarmac scenes with Rhodie & Tony using a rented 737 Business Jet (the interior was a set.) Jon thought it wasn't sexy enough and had me rework the plane in a way that ILM could digitally replace everything from the wings back. The result is a Stark Industries modified Boeing. Full performance specs have not been disclosed, but you can bet Tony'll be sitting in the hotel bar a full hour before anyone else gets there.

This is just a digital paint-over of a location photo from the shoot. Production Designer Michael Riva kept me honest on proportions, and it turned out much better for it. This and a really crude set of elevations are all ILM went by to create the rather convincing plane shots in the movie.

5 comments:

francis tsai said...

brilliant stuff Phil!

Can you believe I still haven't seen the movie yet...

Gojiro said...

Man, I went nuts trying to figure out what kind of plane that is. LOL! Great work on your part and ILM's, because I was completely fooled.

Unknown said...

Hi Phil, I'd love to post this on airliners.net but the copyright rules are strictly enforced. Please post it for other aviation fans to enjoy. Thanks.

Vincent Chiaro said...

This is a great blog. I loved seeing all the drawings of Tony Stark's house too. Thanks for sharing these -- I definitely found some inspiration for my condo!

Did you also work on all the new computer interface systems in the movie?

Unknown said...

I'd like to built a plastic model of this plane. So could you tell, where I can get some renders of the model, which was shown in film? I need more detailed views of rear side.